Sunday 25 January 2009

Geek Stuff: Push Woes and Home Servers

This is the first of an occasional series of posts on the subject of “geek stuff”. As well as being a Goth and Glamour Fiend, I am also a bit of a geek (which in my experience seems to come with both the Goth and Girlyboi territories). So if geek stuff does not interest you then please disregard this entry – normal glamour stuff will resume shortly…

Firstly I have a small rant about “Email on 3” – a Java push email abomination provided by my mobile network for a Sony Ericsson K800. It doesn’t work! In theory the app launches when a new email is received for me to read it. Unfortunately it now declares “Device Identity cannot be confirmed.” and goes no further, so fine, I’ll delete it. Problem is that the network sends a text to the phone which it silently passes to the app so it can wake up. If there is no app, then I get a text full of gibberish. It is possible to turn these off. But only through the app itself, which won’t start because it can’t confirm my phone’s identity. Arrgh!

Something else I’ve been doing a bit on these long dark evenings after work is experimentation. I managed to get Windows Home Server installed on my Mac Mini from an illicit download (I’ve not used anything to crack it so it was running in 30 day trial mode) by using this guide, and was quite impressed, though the Mini’s small hard disk limited what I could do. Still I’ve restored OSX now (speaking of which Microsoft get abuse for Windows patches, Apple’s OSX required nearly 2GB of patch). I’ll probably set up a more permanent solution when I have more money (always the limiting factor). I’m torn between using old PC bits from the parents, or buying a Bare Bones ‘Shuttle PC’. The old bits is cheaper, but I’d be limited to IDE drives which are few and far between. The Shuttle would cost more, but would be more compact and quieter, and the Atom should mean it doesn’t eat much juice.

There goes the new email tone of ‘Email on 3’ still hopefully I’ll find some way to fix that. I’d rather not deal with the offshore muppets in ‘3’ support, they are the main reason I want my contract to be up soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, too, have had loads of fun with Three's email thing. The only way I've found out of 'Device Identity cannot be confirmed' is to turn the phone "off and on again" (thanks Roy). Don't get me started on the fun I had speaking to India trying to get them to accept that I could continue to use it after the trial period ...